Welcome family and friends to my very first blog. To abandon means to surrender or yield oneself and I have recklessly abandoned my life to heed the call that God has put on my heart to move to Romania and work with orphan children. I am full of unbounded enthusiasm and exuberance as I begin this journey to Romania and am excited to share my adventure with you!

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

February 2009 Update

I’m happy to report that we have no more evidence of mice in the house and sleeping with a flea collar has dramatically reduced the number of flea bites I’ve been receiving! Sometimes it’s the little things that can make such a big difference. I’ve also come to appreciate being healthy as I’ve been battling a nasty sinus infection and terrible cough for weeks. I finally broke down and started taking some antibiotics because the cough was so bad I couldn’t sleep. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate a good night’s rest now! We really have much to be thankful for and sometimes it takes losing little pleasures for a period of time to make us realize that.

Orphanage Update
Ildiko and I have continued to work with the older children each week and although it is extremely challenging, it is incredibly rewarding as well. Last Saturday I found myself sitting on the floor with 5 children huddled around me…all wanting attention and affection. One of the largest kids (he’s 16) decided he needed to sit on my lap, another wanted to have his head under my leg, another wanted to hold my hand, another snuggled next to me and the other scooted up close and kept talking about kittens. It was a bit overwhelming, but wonderful at the same time. I was talking to myself and praying quietly at one point asking the Lord for wisdom because I just wasn’t sure what to do with them. Hercules, one of the boys who speaks, blurted out “wisdom”. He had no idea what he was saying, I guess he just liked the way it sounded. He said it over and over and I could only smile and say, yes…that’s what I need! Next month Amanda Towle (an American social worker specializing in children with special needs who is living in Brasov) is coming to do some training with Ildiko and I. We are looking forward to her visit and pray that we will learn how to better help these children reach their full potential.

After-School Program Update








We had a team of High School students from England here for a week this month. The school brings a group of students each year and we were blessed to have 16 kids spending time with us. The teens were divided into groups of 5 and they rotated between our program and the orphanage, hospital, and special needs school in town. We had the teens pair up with our kids and work on math and reading as well as crafts and games. We had a wonderful time and our kids especially enjoyed all the extra attention. It was a long week, but very rewarding for all of us!







New Beginnings Update
The family center in the house attached to our house (like a duplex) is in need of house parents. The previous parents moved to be with extended family and we have been searching for new parents for a few months now. This month it was decided that we would split the kids up among us and integrate them into our families until new house parents can be found. So…we have two new young girls living with us in our house. Lavinia is 11 and Cosmina is 9 and I have to say it’s been a lot of fun having them here. They are full of energy and having them here has really been helping us with our Romanian. Lavinia had been struggling in school and the social worker said that her teachers have reported that she has made a marked improvement in her school work and overall general attitude in the past two weeks. It’s great to know that she is settling in and adjusting well to all the change. The girls have really enjoyed mothering the little kids and having big sisters (Cristina and I) to hang out with as well. It’s also great to be able to play a more active role in their lives and we really have enjoyed loving on them.

Wedding
We had another wedding in our church this month. Alexandra and Dorin had done the civil ceremony last year, but decided they wanted a church wedding as well. The timing was perfect because they were also able to have a dedication service for their newborn. It was a wonderful time of celebration for all of us and of course, we enjoyed a wonderful traditional Romanian wedding feast afterward


God continues to bless and move in the hearts and lives of the people here and I am so blessed to be a part of it!

Prayer Requests:
• One of the boxes I shipped to myself is missing. Please pray that it will arrive soon!
• Health…I’ve had a nasty sinus infection and cough
• Continuing to learn the Romanian language
• Wisdom in working with the older children and new workers in the orphanage
• For God to continue to help me prepare good lessons for my English class
• For new house parents for our family center
• For us to meet the needs of Lavinia and Cosmina and for them to continue to adjust well in their new home

With much love,
Natalie Bridges
natalie926@hotmail.com


I would like to help Natalie Bridges in the following way(s):
Becoming a prayer partner
Monthly Financial Support $________
One Time Financial Gift $________

Name _________________________

Address __________________________________________________

Phone _________________________

E-mail _________________________

* Please return this portion of the newsletter to: Calvary Chapel Boise
Attn: Jana Patton
123 Auto Drive
Boise, ID 83709

* Make all checks payable to Calvary Chapel Boise, all donations are tax deductible.
* To receive a tax receipt at the end of each year, please contact Calvary Chapel Boise.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jami said...

Oh Natalie, I love reading your updates and you have not blogged in so long. I was so excited to hear all of the recent news!! I'm so glad you are doing well and I'm so proud of the work you are doing. I miss you!
Love,
Jami

5:26 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home