Welcome family and friends to my very first blog. To abandon means to surrender or yield oneself and I have recklessly abandoned my life to heed the call that God has put on my heart to move to Romania and work with orphan children. I am full of unbounded enthusiasm and exuberance as I begin this journey to Romania and am excited to share my adventure with you!

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Driving in Romania

I’ve seen some pretty realistic car racing video games in recent years and I’ve teased that after seeing what Romanian drivers have to put up with I could invent a pretty challenging driving video game. It would include things unexpectedly appearing in the road…like chickens, cows, sheep, goats, cats, dogs, people (drunks for example)…all of which I have personally observed Romanian drivers avoid hitting on a regular basis. The player would also have to deal with other drivers, not just the stereotypical woman and old drivers, but the speed demons who pass before you even realize they are there, the seemingly hundreds of student drivers, the horse-drawn carts sharing the road, not to mention the drivers whose cars barely putter along and you wonder how it is still running. It would also include boundless opportunities to test your reflexes with potholes, winding narrow streets, bumpy-bad roads, road construction, and the infamous parked cars in traffic lanes. Players would also have to figure out who has priority at intersections…it will be different for each intersection and if you cause an accident by not giving proper priority, you will automatically lose the game…just like drivers here lose their license for 3 months when accidents are their fault. Mastery of the game would be highly recommended before actually driving in Romania!

Okay, I’m exaggerating a bit, but driving in Romania really is challenging! While the Fouts were in the States we had a situation come up where I had to drive the van up to Nasaud (a town about 25 km outside of Bistrita) to pick up several people for church on a Sunday morning. There was no one else available to drive, so it was up to me to go and get them. The van is a standard transmission, 9 passenger Ford Transit…it’s big, but it wasn’t only the size that had me concerned…it was the fact that I barely know how to drive a stick shift! Fortunately, my friend Radu went with me. Normally, Radu would have driven, but he was one of the unfortunate ones who had his license taken from him for three months. So instead of driving, he coached me through the entire trip…slow down here, shift to third, push in the clutch as you go around this corner, etc. It was amazing! My passengers applauded when we pulled up in front of the church…I’m not sure if it was because they were proud of me or because they were relieved we made it – ha! The only rough spot was when we stopped to let them all in…I was expecting only 3 people and got a little nervous (freaked out) when there was 7! So, when I saw the crowd I killed the engine. I started the van and killed it again! I think they were a little worried after that – ha! However, I got them all there and back safely and can now say I have driven in Romania! What an adventure!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Kidsmom said...

Natalie,

Hey girl...I so miss you and your funny stories!!!! You are ALWAYS good for a laugh and a smile!!! I can't believe you never learned to drive a "stick"!!! I'm glad you made it to/from your destination with no injuries or damage to the vehicle! It is great logging in to see what you have been up to. I'm keeping you in my thoughts and prayers! Email soon...

Tracey

1:17 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home