Welcome family and friends to my very first blog. To abandon means to surrender or yield oneself and I have recklessly abandoned my life to heed the call that God has put on my heart to move to Romania and work with orphan children. I am full of unbounded enthusiasm and exuberance as I begin this journey to Romania and am excited to share my adventure with you!

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Language Funnies

The language classes I have taken over the past year have really helped, but I am far (far, far, far) from being fluent in Romanian. I'm at the Kindergarten level...how do I know? Because I can only communicate with 4 and 5 year olds...and even then I have language problems. The only thing that helps us is that they usually know a little English - ha!

I learned a new phrase that basically means "health to you". It is used often when people are saying good-bye or when someone sneezes. I really wanted to learn it and begin using it because it just seems like such a nice way of parting. I was practicing it on our drive from Bucharest to Bistrita and tried it out in a convenience store as I was leaving. The two guys behind the counter looked at me and then at each other and back at me in confusion. I tried it again and they were even more confused. Then just as I was giving up on being able to use the phrase, they understood and thanked me. I thought it must have been my accent or something. Turns out I was saying "Your father is calling" by mistake!!! The proper pronunciation is like this...sunna tateh...and I was saying soona tatah. Close, but not close enough! Can you imagine being told that your father is calling by someone who just purchased some water and was leaving the store? Cracks me up!

I also had an interesting language experience at the cabana. Apparently there is a verb in Romanian that sounds very much like an English cuss word. It is the verb, "I do". For example if a kid wants to tie his own shoelaces he will use this verb to indicate that he wants to do it himself. You can imagine my shock when a little girl sitting in front of me reached for my camera and said to my face, "F" you! I was taken back for a moment and then realized she was telling me that she wanted to take a picture....I do, I do!! This is going to take a little getting used to as you can imagine how often a kid will tell you she wants to do something herself!

One more story on this topic...one of our translators is quite the joker. He will often tell you that a word means one thing, when really it is something entirely different. He told John (one of our team members) how to say the big car is coming so he could warn the kids who were playing in the street. The correct word for car is machina (like machine with an a on the end)...he told him to say bachina instead. Bachina means fart...so he was saying the big fart is coming!! You should have seen the wide-eyed expression on the faces of those kids as they ran away giggling! After that the kids wouldn't stop saying the phrase. I'm sure their parents really appreciated it! Ha!

Fortunately, my language mishaps have been pretty minor and humorous. I can only hope that I will continue to improve and avoid too many more embarrassing situations!!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Natalie!!!! I love your Blog and all the pictures! I am so glad that you got this up and running and now I can keep track of all the events as they unfold! I'm keeping you and the team in my prayers, and I can't wait to see and hear more about all the things you are doing in Romania. Thanks for the big laughs with the language bloopers...I can't wait to hear more!

Sunnah Tateh!!!

Tracey

6:27 PM

 
Blogger Gabrielle said...

Hi Nat!Even though it`s late now(01.00 am) i really laughed loud while i was reading this..i couldn`t stopp-ha.Bechina it`s coming!!!hahaha..i imagine those kids holding their noses and giggling..and "soona tatah" ;))...the correct grammar is"suna tata"...don`t worry I can help you to learn Romanian so you won`t be diddled again :P..keep posting..kisses

1:45 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home